Pages

Saturday 30 June 2018

Language Goals - Clear the List, July 18

It's healthy to review your goals as you go along to see where you're making progress, but more importantly, where you're not! If you can see where you're failing, you can take action to turn it around.



Clear the list is a monthly round up of your language learning. It's a review of how you did last month, and goal setting for the upcoming month hosted by Lindsay Does Languages and Eurolinguiste.


French


I'm doing ok in French, but there's a long way to go yet. Listening is my weakest skill. My tutor is really good, and allows me to steer my own lessons (with her guidance) so generally I get to work on what's been troubling me the most. I only have two lessons with her a month because my life is pretty hectic, but those lessons are so valuable! Before my next lesson I'm going to prepare some questions for her (in French, obviously) so that she can do the talking instead of gearing me up to get plenty of speaking practice! French words seem to just blend into one another and getting some quality listening work in this coming month is going to help immensely.

Japanese


This is a pretty big language and for now all I'm planning to do is keep on top of character recognition, and writing practice. I'm not quite ready to leap into this language yet, but I've noticed that the company I work for has started making contacts in Japan, and we've had a couple of Japanese reps come over to visit us. It's been pretty disappointing for me that I was only able to say a few greetings to them in Japanese. They seemed to be impressed but I think they were just being polite!

Polish


I absolutely love the sound of Slavic languages. Two of my friends are Polish and they seem to think that learning the language is pretty pointless, but are quite impressed with my pronunciation nonetheless! The grammar seems tricky, but I haven't really looked into the grammar that much. What I have been doing is noticing the patterns as I'm learning set phrases, and it seems to be sticking! This month I'm going to look a bit deeper into how to use cases properly.

Spanish


I accidentally added Spanish to the list of languages I'm learning. There's no reason for me to learn it, as I've never felt connected to Spain or any other Spanish speaking country, but thought I'd add it on Duolingo just to see what it was like... Well, I've only just started learning and I've fallen in love with it! Maybe it's because I've been learning French for quite a while, picking up another romance language has seemed pretty easy! Having said that, I'm not far along, so all I'm planning to do this month is keep up with Duolingo and Memrise.

Swedish


This is the language I'm struggling with the most. I really don't want to shelve this language yet, but for some reason, things aren't sticking. My only goal for Swedish this month is to try out different learning methods or courses. I need to find something that will work for me. I should be beyond the beginner stage by now but I'm still just clutching on to the basics which is frustrating.

Welsh


Being rusty in my own native language is quite shameful! I really need to get more exposure to the language (I don't live in Wales anymore!). This month's goal is to find some TV shows, books and podcasts that are relative to my interests. I'm also going to continue teaching my other half words and phrases, but in a more structured fashion.


7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your language goals for this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay fellow Welsh learner! I've included a few books and things on my own update this month, maybe they'll be useful? Most are for learners so might be too easy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not really a learner, Welsh is my native language but I feel like I've neglected the language ever since I moved to England.

      When I grew up, all my lessons at school were in Welsh, when I got my first job, I spoke Welsh with the staff and the customers, and surprisingly, when I moved to England, one of my first jobs here was as a Welsh translator for the UK Census!

      I just need to be pro active in making contact with the language more often!

      If you need any help though, I'm just an email away :-)

      Delete
  3. Your experience with Spanish mimics my experience with pretty much every language ever (not really, but with Mandarin, Hebrew and ASL). I never feel drawn to the language but then I learn it and there's nothing else for me to do but become overly attatched to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're quite curious about languages, I like your spirit!
    I was struggling with my languages (like you with Swedish) and I began to learn Spanish. As a French person, it came easily to me too, and it was a relief. This year, I'm starting Italian and it goes well too, a little mixed up with Spanish because I am still at beginner level, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci. Il est bon d'avoir quelque chose facile à côté des langues plus difficiles. Bon chance avec l'italien! C'est plus facile si vous l'aimez :-)

      Delete